Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Troy Built with a Briggs & Straton motor "Fast start". It…

Customer Question
Troy Built with a...

Troy Built with a Briggs & Straton motor "Fast start". It will try to start with 2 pulls on rope but dies out. gas tank is full.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

I can't locate manual given with the lawn mower which is about 2 years old and I recently had to fill the tank for the first time.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have a front yard only with lawn. The mower does set unused often and it sets outside with a tarp for cover. So where is the on and off valve located, I will check this first.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/7/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 11 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

T​here is most likely no on/off valve since it is a push mower with briggs engine.

S​ounds like the carb jet is clogged and needs to be cleaned internally. I would suggest carb removal and good cleaning. Use a small wire and compressed air through all the jets

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to do my BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

There doesn't appear to be any fuel line valve/shut off and I had already removed a flexible fuel line and it is clears so I have decided to take the mower back to Lowes as it has a 2 year warranty and I purchased the unit in 2016.
this mower has seen only light duty as I only have a front lawn about 20' x 60' mowed 2 to 3 times each month and less in the winter months. The mower is under cover when not in use. My last mower was 20 years old before any problems. Thanks for your help.

NO PROBLEM. BE PREPARED FOR LOWES TO NOT COVER IT UNDER WARRANTY IF IT IS FUEL RELATED. I AM NOT SURE IF THEY WILL TELL YOU THIS OR NOT