Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 22 KW whole house generator and without a load the

Customer Question

I have a 22 KW whole house generator and without a load the voltage regulator produces 23 amps and about every 5 minutes an orange light comes on and it jumps to 170 amps. The breaker is a 125amp. Is it normal for the Voltage regulator to go from 23 amps to 170 amps without a load ?
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a Gaurdian 22KW and its 11 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no I have a professional. He needs to know if the voltage regulator is operating normally
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: while running without a load the voltage regulator reads 23 amps then an orange light comes on and it jumps to 170 amps for a few seconds. Is this normal ?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

1. What are the model and serial number of the genset?

2. The voltage regulator does not produce amperage. Can you please explain a bit more about exactly what you were checking?