Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

On our generator all of the red lights are on and it trys to…

Customer Question
On our generator all...

On our generator all of the red lights are on and it trys to start but just bumps the starter a little i can't seem to be able to re set the computer

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Natural gas powered

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If i can a while ago i replaced the overheat switch and i seemed to run fine for a couple of months

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It is over 10 years old 15 kw

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/7/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 8 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the brand, model and serial number of the genset?

it's bad weather here can't get that info till tomorrow i know it's 15 kv 1.0 liter kohler engine otherwise i'll talk to you tomorrow
can you diagnose it at all tonight?

It's pretty hard to diagnose when I don't even know what it is.

Are you positive it is a Kohler?

Kohler never made a 1L engine that I am aware of.

this is probably over 15 years old
i am sure
i'll run out and see if i can get the model number
item #(###) ###-####serial # 38989958 15000 watt @ 62.5 amps guardian series
right off the id plate
the engine may be something else i use a kohler oil filter that fits

This is a Generac genset.

You have an extra number in the serial number, but I won't need the correction.

The engine is a Generac 990 CC, GT990.

The lights are all on at the control board because you do not have your exercise timer set.

To set the exercise timer, set the switch to AUTO.

Press and hold the SET EXERCISE button until the genset starts (may take 10 seconds or so).

Once the engine starts, you must let it run until it shuts itself down (about 12 minutes). If you shut it off before it completes it's cycle, the timer will not set.

The timer will be set for whatever day and time you do this.

For example, if you set the timer at noon on a Friday, the unit will exercise at noon on Fridays.

If you set it at 10 PM on a Wednesday, the timer will be set for 10 PM on Wednesdays.

If the starter is not cranking the engine, the first thing you need to do is to check your battery cables to make sure the connections are clean and tight.

If the cables are not the problem, your battery is likely too weak to crank the unit. You would need to take the battery in and have it tested.

Do not rely on a voltmeter to test a battery, as even a bad battery can read fully charged with 12V, but not have enough ampacity to do any work.

thanks! I'll try to check the battery tomorrow however i can't set the exerciser because the generator won't start i did not check the battery so i'll do that tomorrow thanks that may be the problem!

Let me know how it turns out.

I let you know about the exercise timer so you wouldn't be trying to set it at 10 PM. Your neighbors might not like that.

Was it just a bad battery?

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician