Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Looking for a replacement spark plug type for a Honda

Customer Question

Looking for a replacement spark plug type for a Honda PowerBoss 7000 with a Briggs and Stratton motor. Model number is ***** I want to replace the spark plug before the Hurricane gets to me. Thanks.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: This is the first time I have ever contacted you. Just looking for a part number on the spark plug
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No. The generator runs great 95% of the time. I just want to change the fuel out and replace the spark plug, change the oil in advance of the Hurricane
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Honda PowerBoss 7000 model number 030220. Purchased at Costco in 2007. Here is the link to the operator's manuel. https://www.manualslib.com/manual/799495/Powerboss-030220.html?term=spark+plug&selected=3#manual
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Briggs engine in a Honda? Briggs & Stratton Part # 491055 Champion Part # RC12YC

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Sir, my name is ***** ***** I am going to make some corrections here, as you have been given incorrect information.

First, you do not have a Honda PowerBoss with a Briggs and Stratton engine. You have a Briggs and Stratton PowerBoss with a Honda engine.

The spark plug you were told is the incorrect plug for this Honda GX390.

The factory plug for it is an NGK BPR6ES.

You can also use a Champion RN9YC.

The RC12YC you were told is a hotter plug than the RN9YC, and can lead to engine over heating due to carbon fouling. The engine does not run hot enough to burn the carbon off of a heat range 12 plug.

A major difference you will notice is that the NGK and the RN9YC use a 13/16" spark plug socket, while the RC12YC uses a 5/8" spark plug socket.

The RC12YC is physically smaller than the RN9YC or the NGK BPR6ES.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?