Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

My 7-8 year old mower starts to smoke after about 15 mins.

Customer Question

My 7-8 year old mower starts to smoke after about 15 mins. Oil cap seems to bounce open and eventually there is oil that collects so I stop it to let it cool off. Blown gasket. piston? Faulty oil cap?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes ..fuel in the tank -should be clean as about 2 weeks old.Just filled it beforehand today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'm very handy...and thrifty so hope to.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No. Just a diagnoses as to causes. Always been a good machine -use it to leaf mulch. If too expensive to fix will buy another
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

If your oil cap does not remain tight, this can cause your engine to smoke, due to a lose of vacuum. Check to see if the rubber o-ring is missing from your dipstick.

Expert:  Donald replied 1 month ago.

We can continue from here.