Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Tiger Cub. 24 hp Honda. It won't start if below

Customer Question

I have a SCAG Tiger Cub. 24 hp Honda. It won't start if below about 65* and will sputter & misfire after up to temp after 1/2 to 1 hour.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: yes when it is cold there is no spark. i can put a space heater on the engine to warm it up for a while and it starts and runs fine. Maybe coils? possibly diodes?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes sir.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Don't know what I don't know...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Unplug the kill diode from the two coils and see if it has spark. If it does, replace the kill diode.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I haven't pulled the shroud yet. Is the diode besid the coil under the flywheel cover? Wired in parallel?
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, diode is on harness that plugs two both coils. It is the kill circuit, so with wire off the coils, there is nothing but the coils and magnet in flywheel to make the spark.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks! I will check it as soon as time permits.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 1 month ago.

OK>