Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Thing won't go forward or back. riding mower. Will have to…

Customer Question
Damn thing won't...

Damn thing won't go forward or back. riding mower

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Will have to get back to you

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Ok. got the info: Ariens Model 936060 42" Precision gear Tractor. This thing is a piece of shit. I have had to fix it three times at a cost of over $600.00 three times the steering went. This time I am mowing lawn. Hit a small bump and now mower won't go into gear at all. No forward no reverse.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Yes, send money. I cannot afford any more bucks on this junk.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/6/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 11 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

he drive belt between the engine and the transmission is off a pulley or broken. See link below.

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, do I look like I just graduated from Harvard. All I want to know is what button to push or what lever to move! I couldn't understand that mess of parts if I DID graduate from Harvard.

# 57 is the belt. See if you can see it looking up under the rear fender. It has to be tight and turning the transmission pulley when engine is running. It may be too much for you, and will need to go to repair shop.