Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a 5.5KW Onan in a Class A RV with very low hours. It

Customer Question

I have a 5.5KW Onan in a Class A RV with very low hours. It starts and runs about 15 minutes and then dies. While running it will run both AC units. It is harder to start the 2nd time. May be flooding?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: It has 100 gallons to draw from. It runs so I assume the shut off valve is open.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If need to. I have a mechanic and am one myself. Also an electrical contractor
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have owned this RV for two weeks. The Rv has 42,000 miles and the Onan has 338.4 hrs.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
What is the full model number of the genset?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
5.5 HGJAB-1038D
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you a real person?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Yes, I am a real person.
I am just at work right now, and can only reply during breaks, until I get home this evening.
I work 2 day jobs, and normally help on Just Answer in the evenings.
But with the hurricane situation, I have been trying to squeeze in a few minutes where I can, especially since I am the only certified generator technician on the site.

What fault code is your genset showing?
To get the faukt code, press the stop button 3 times, about 1 second apart, and count the flashes of the light in the switch.
If it flashes twice, pauses for 1 second, then flashes 5 times, this is a code of 25.

If it just keeps flashing 3 times, you need to press the stop button once more.