Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My generator starts great but no output power. It runs. It…

Customer Question
My generator starts great...

My generator starts great but no output power

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes....it runs

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

It was working just fine....running everything...both roof airs were on.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Small Engine
9/6/2017
Technician: JohnF2015, Technician replied 10 months ago
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like the AVR or automatic voltage regulator has gone bad which will cause you to have no voltage output. This is the first thing that I would look at or replace when having this issue.

Thank you for using our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.

Where do I locate that at on my generator? How do I test it to make sure thats what is bad?

The AVR will be on the back end of the generator normally under a round metal cover that is held on with two screws near where the wiring comes out of the genset itself. As far as testing the AVR the only way to identify whether it is good or not is to basically check for voltage at the control panel where your plugs are.

Had the machine been sitting for a long time with no use?

No it hadnt been sitting. I was actually traveling across the country. My dash air doesnt work...so to keep my dog comfortable I would run the generator while traveling on the interstate. Once I would stop the coach I would turn off the generator and then turn off the ac and fridge along with any lights....the one time I forgot to do that...so then when I started the generator again...it started fine...EVERYTHING came on for about 10 seconds and then Everything went off. I assumed it tripped one or both od the breakers at the generator....I checked them both...switched them both off then on...and still nothing. So you still think the voltage regulator?
Remind you...this is a koehler 5500 genset on my class A RV.

Based on what you are describing then YES I would suggest AVR replacement. Anytime that you start or shutdown the generator you need to remove any load, turn off all outside items prior to shutting the generator off or trying to start the unit.

I would bet that when you started the unit with the AC and fridge on it created an instant load and damaged the AVR. This is the first thing that I would suggest to replace based on the information that you have provided.

You should always remove any external loads prior to shutting down or starting the generator.

I knew that...I just forgot....so frustrating. I will try that and let you know. Thanks

No problem. I believe that everything will work just fine once you replace the AVR.

Thanks for choosing to use our services.