JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner/Service Technician at S & J Small Engines
87465640

My generator starts great but no output power. It runs. It

Customer Question

My generator starts great but no output power
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes....it runs
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It was working just fine....running everything...both roof airs were on.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds like the AVR or automatic voltage regulator has gone bad which will cause you to have no voltage output. This is the first thing that I would look at or replace when having this issue.

Thank you for using our services.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where do I locate that at on my generator? How do I test it to make sure thats what is bad?
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

The AVR will be on the back end of the generator normally under a round metal cover that is held on with two screws near where the wiring comes out of the genset itself. As far as testing the AVR the only way to identify whether it is good or not is to basically check for voltage at the control panel where your plugs are.

Had the machine been sitting for a long time with no use?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No it hadnt been sitting. I was actually traveling across the country. My dash air doesnt work...so to keep my dog comfortable I would run the generator while traveling on the interstate. Once I would stop the coach I would turn off the generator and then turn off the ac and fridge along with any lights....the one time I forgot to do that...so then when I started the generator again...it started fine...EVERYTHING came on for about 10 seconds and then Everything went off. I assumed it tripped one or both od the breakers at the generator....I checked them both...switched them both off then on...and still nothing. So you still think the voltage regulator?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Remind you...this is a koehler 5500 genset on my class A RV.
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

Based on what you are describing then YES I would suggest AVR replacement. Anytime that you start or shutdown the generator you need to remove any load, turn off all outside items prior to shutting the generator off or trying to start the unit.

I would bet that when you started the unit with the AC and fridge on it created an instant load and damaged the AVR. This is the first thing that I would suggest to replace based on the information that you have provided.

You should always remove any external loads prior to shutting down or starting the generator.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I knew that...I just forgot....so frustrating. I will try that and let you know. Thanks
Expert:  JohnF2015 replied 1 month ago.

No problem. I believe that everything will work just fine once you replace the AVR.

Thanks for choosing to use our services.