Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Can you use a generac 5500 portable generator for a hour for

Customer Question

can you use a generac 5500 portable generator for a hour for a central ac home it 2 ton airconditioners
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: generac 5500 briggs and stratton
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: it just hooking the unit through main line through house where separate breaker and the main would be shut off only want to run airconditioner for short time. in hurricane area probably loose power
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

A 5500 watt genset will probably not push a 2-ton A/C unit. Even if it does, it would be pushing it to the limit. An hour a day would be pushing it.

Even if your genset will push it, your proposal to connect it to your home is both illegal and highly dangerous. It is a fire waiting to happen.

The ONLY way to connect a genset to a home is through an approved safety device, such as a transfer switch or a generator interlock device.