Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

I want ot [ut a generator outside my apt is this possible, I

Customer Question

i want ot [ut a generator outside my apt is this possible
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I don't have the generator, I need to purchase one. I am new to this project
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no i plan on getting a certified electrician
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: i am on the 5h floor of a condo
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Yours is a very tricky situation.

Whether you can have a genset installed or not depends on a couple of different things:

1. First, it will depend on whether the landlord/building owner will allow this to be done. Installing a genset involves tapping directly into the buildings wiring.

2. Since it involves tapping in to the buildings wiring, it will also depend on exactly how the building is wired.

Installing one may be a fairly simple, straight-forward affair, or it may be completely cost prohibitive.

The first thing you need to do is to contact management/ownership to see if it would even be allowed. Even if they will allow it, they may have certain contractors you would be required to use.

If approval is given, the next step is to contact a licensed electrician/contractor, to see if it can be done, and to get your estimate of the work.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
WHAT IS A GENSET? IT IS A CONDO AND THEY WILL MOST LIKELY GIVE ME A HARD TIME JUS TO SHOW WHO IS IN CONTROL. WHAT IS THE PROCESS SHOULD IT BE ALLOWED, IF WILL USE A LICENSED ELECTRICIAN
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am not looking to continue paying so I will opt out of your service
Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

A genset is what you are calling a generator.

A genset is comprised of 2 major components - the engine, and the generator.

The process would be to have an electrician/contractor come out to see what type of installation would be necessary, according to the building and the wiring.

Then they would do a load calculation on your unit, seeing what all you would want to be able to run, so they would know how big of a genset you would require. They will ask you several questions, and give you several options.

Then they would do the actual installation.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 1 month ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?