Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Engine will not fire. Tune the key and nothing happens.

Engine will not fire....
Engine will not fire. Tune the key and nothing happens. Already replaced the key switch but no luck.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: Tractor is 5 years old and has always run perfectly.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes we are in the middle of knowwhere
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The only switch I cant seem to get to is the brake saftey plunger. When I turn the key on the is a click somewhjere on the engine. The battery indicator works and also gives the hours on the engine (288) however there is a flashing symbol on the indicator.
Also replaced the fuse.
I don't know if I told you it is a troy built Horse
I was wrong about the age. Its a 2006
Kohler engine
8/22/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

If you flip key on and off, do you get the fuel solenoid click at the carburetor? If not, go back to the fuse and fuse holder, and see if you have voltage past the fuse. The power for key has to come direct thru the fuse. If you do get the click from the carburetor solenoid, you have a safety switch problem, seat switch, brake switch or pto switch that is not making the start circuit complete.

I do get the carburetor click and there is power past the fuse. And I also get a distinct click when I activate the pro switch. It is probably the brake switch as it is the hardest to get to. I manually depress the plunger but still nothing when I try the starter switch.
There seems to be another fuse the just rests behind the panel. It is weatherproofed by electric tape. Not like a normal fuse but small black square.

Make and model? Do you have battery volt to the black square and out of it? Usually is just one fuse.

Getting voltage after the fuse. Make is Troy-Built Horse Model 60TP Model #13AP60TP766

Tractor has only on fuse. If this is a one inch square, it is a relay, usually for pto. So it will be either seat switch and harness , or the brake interlock switch or harness. I would check the seat switch and harness first.

OK I will check both

OK>

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician