Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I was mowing and shut off my mower to move something out of

the way and then tried...
I was mowing and shut off my mower to move something out of the way and then tried to crank mower again and it wouldn't turn over to crank. What could be the problem? Even after letting mower get cold it went turn over.
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Its a troy built 42 inch with 15.5 briggs and stratton engine about two years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Well that's what happened to it. I take good care of it.
8/22/2017
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

Check the fuse first, then Try jumping the solenoid if fuse is good. Follow the reD wire from the battery to the starter solenoid. try jumping the solenoid by placing a screw driver on both poles together and see if machine will turn over. Make sure to engage parking brake and have key turned on. If it turns over, the solenoid is bad.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

I don't see a fuse or slenoid on starter the red wire goes right to starter

if the red wire on battery goes directly to the starter, then the solenoid is mounted on the starter.

What engine is on your machine?

should be a fuse under the dash area when you lift up the hood. may be in a holder clipped to the sides or frame of dash

what model is the machine? should be a sticker under the seat of mower

The engine is a briggs and stratton 15.5

briggs and Stratton have a starter solenoid separate from the starter. should be mounted under hood. follow red wire from the starter on engine, and it will lead to the solenoid, and then to the battery

The model # under the seat is 13wm77ks011

okat, thank you for the model info.

I found fuse and slenoid back under seat the fuse is good

okay, I was just looking the model up and typing this.

most likely you have a faulty solenoid. what happens when you turn the key to start machine?

It tries to turn over but it only turns so far then stops. I try rotating crank but it gets hard to turn

remove the spark plug and see if engine turns easier. see if fuel comes out of plug hole once removed

With spark plug removed it rotates easily

turn machine over a few times with electric start and then reinstall the plug to see if machine will start now. Let me know what happens please

It turned over good with starter with plug removed but won't turn over with plug in.
Could it be a valve problem?

That is correct. if it is hard turning under compression, the valves are out of adjustment and need adjusting. Also check for a bent push rod while there

Would that be something I can do or should it go to the shop?

do you have a set of feeler gauges? you will need socket set, wrenches, torx driver, and feeler gauges

Thanks for your help i appreciate it

JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
I have the tools and mechanicly inclined

I would attempt it then. youtube.com has excellent how to videos

JON
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician