Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have an MTD 960 tractor That turns sharper to left and

Hi Pearl, I have an...
Hi Pearl, I have an MTD 960 tractor That turns sharper to left and will not turn but barely to the right. I tried lengthening the drag link and it made it worse. Went the wrong way I guess. :) When I got the tractor it seemed all of the adjustment was used up to shorten the drag link. Could you tell me what the actual length for part(###) ###-####actually is? I wonder if the guy who restored the tractor used a different drag link that worked? Thank you!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: I bought the tractor 3 months ago. It is a 1974 model.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so, the tie rods are fine and the steering gears look good with very little play. The the correct length of the drag link is what I think I need to know.
8/22/2017
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician

Hi, my name is***** will be assisting you.

Normally when you see this issue or when I have run into the issue the problem has been that someone removed the steering sector gear and reinstalled it without lining it up correctly. When the wheels are straight the steering shaft should be about center of the steering sector gear if installed properly.

I will see if I can get you an actual length of the drag link.

Thank you, ***** ***** at when the wheels were straight and the steering gear looked centered just by eyeball with sector gear. My first thought was it was running out of teeth going to the right. If you could give me a guide to know if the two gears are in the correct position that might really help too. I mean from your experience what to look for? The online manual for this old best doesn't go into that much detail. LOL

Total length of the drag link is 25", it is 1/2" diameter and threaded on each end for the ball joints.

Thank you and I will look at the steering and sector gear closer to see if that is causing the problem as you suggested. I was hoping not since it would be the hardest to tear down. Those two pieces were sitting on the floor when they built the tractor around it you know! Thank you again!
John, the system will not let me rate you as excellent and submit. Sorry, I have tried several different times, Thank you!

Everything that MTD recommends says to turn the steering all the way to the right, turn the front wheels all the way to the right and then adjust and attach the drag link at that position.

Hope this information is helpful to you. Thank you for choosing to use our services here.

The system will only allow you to give a rating once I have selected a button on my side of the conversation.

Please take a moment to rate your experience using the star rating system that is provided for you.

JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician
That last bit was excellent to know! Thank you! 5 stars my man!

Thank you for choosing to use our services here!!!!

I hope that you have a great day!!!!

JohnF2015
JohnF2015
JohnF2015, Technician