Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My &S 61E100 starts then stops, Yes, Yes, I disconnected the…

My B&S 61E100 starts...

My B&S 61E100 starts then stops

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I disconnected the oil pressure switch but it was still the same

Answered in 1 hour by:
8/21/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

How long before it will restart? Do you have a full flow of fuel to the carburetor?

In the carburetor will be an electric solenoid, that plugs the main jet, if it does not stay open, engine will not run.

Hi again, after it fires up it will do the same instantly

Check the fuel solenoid, best test is to remove it and plug the hole for test.

I am in Australia

Texas

The fuel solenoid has to have 12 volts as long as the key is on

Well I seem too have a. Problem bigger than Texas haha

If solenoid does not stay open, you can remove the inner tip,, that closes the main jet, and install it as a dummy, and use engine.

Ok I am going to do some investigating and will get back to you

OK>

Hi Curtis, I removed the fuel pump & filter cleaned & re-installed the have plenty of fuel flow prior to the carby, Is there some diagrams I could look at that shows me the fuel solenoid ?

I need the full engine model number. Looking at 61E engines show to be fuel injected, no carburetor?

The book I have that came with the motor has 2 model numbers the other one is 610000, now the engine has a choke and according to the book if it has a choke it has a carburetor and it is an electric start that is why I thought it may be a 61E100, any way it looks to me as though it has a carburetor. The reason I am a bit vague about this is it is mounted inside an enclosed trailer and would take some time to remove it and I can not see the model numbers, but if I have to I will remove it.
But the top of the engine is easy to get at but a bit hard to see under the air cleaner etc.

Just using a basic model, 947 is the carbureror fuel solenoid, See link below.

Just for your information I have been involved with small engines for a long time so understand the workings and what would normally stop an engine from running like, Spark, fuel, compression, oil etc, I did notice the last time I tried to start it it backfired through the exhaust so may be I had better check the valve clearance when I get this sorted but I don't think that is what is stopping it from running.

With Briggs twin engine, not likley spark issue, unless it ha soil pressure shutoff. But the fuel solenoid is a common failure item!

OK I got that link I will check it out.

OK>

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Yep I see the carburetor fuel solenoid set up on the butterfly section of the carburetor base. Thanks for your help so far Curtis, my name is Syd (Sydney) and it is 10.30 Monday night here so I am off to the shower and bed and will look at it in the morning when I get to the factory. I have a better understanding of what I am looking for now.
Regards *****
It is OK now I checked ever thing, Valve clearance, Oil pressure cut off switch, fuel filter, spark plugs and it is running OK now.

Thanks!