Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My Poulan Pro 500EX will not move forward or backwards. Not.

My Poulan Pro 500EX...

My Poulan Pro 500EX will not move forward or backwards.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Not long. Mowed my yard four days ago without any problems. Today I turned it on, everything seemed normal, but it wouldn't move.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, if possible

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The mower also won't move when being manually pushed.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Poulan Pro 500EX, 2009ish?

8/20/2017
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Is the drive belt from the engine to the top of the transmission turning when engine is running, viewed from under the fender.

Both belts are moving and all pullies seem to be ok.

When you select forward or reverse, does the engine seem to lug down? You say it will not free wheel when rod is pulled? Sounds like the brake is stuck on. Follow the brake rod to the disc brake caliper on the side of the transmission and loosen the two bolts holding the caliper, then tap on the brake to release it. If that works, WD40 the brake parts, and retighten the bolts.

Wow. Now I feel dumb. Thought I checked the break, but only checked linkage. Thanks a lot.

thank you! Please rate using the 5 star rating system to close the question and get me credit!

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

thanks!