Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have the 16 horse overhead valve. I see platinum engine on

my rider. It was working...
I have the 16 horse overhead valve. I see platinum engine on my rider. It was working fine and then large plumes of blue/white smoke came pouring out of the exhaust. It kept running but rough. It cleared up but awhile later it happened again. Is ther a crankcase vent that could be clogged? Or?
8/18/2017
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

y​ou have a crankcase breather which is #8 in the diagram in the following link

http://www.partstree.com/parts/briggs-and-stratton/engines-vertical-engine-with-electric-starter/310707-0137-e1-briggs-stratton-engine-electric-starter/cylinder-sump-breather-gasket-set/

Do you see oil anywhere near the engine? how does the oil smell? Does it smell of fuel?

Engine is a little greasy but don't see any leaks. Oil smells fine, at right level. Older model, just got recently. Ran fine last week. Topped it off with synth oil. Is that bad?

NO, SYNTHETIC OIL IS FINE . I WOULD CHECK THE CRANKCASE BREATHER, AS IF THERE IS NO OIL LEAKING, VALVE COVER SHOULD BE FINE AND SINCE IT WILL PICK BACK UP AND RUN FINE, HEAD GASKET SHOULD BE FINE

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

Ok I'll check breather. Will let you know.

NO​T A PROBLEM. KEEP ME POSTED AND WE CAN TROUBLESHOOT FURTHER IF NEEDED

Puddle of oil in air cleaner assembly. Breather seems clear. Runs fine with breather tube disconnected from air cleaner. Some smoke from breather tube.

sounds like the breather assembly is not working properly as normally if oil is in the air cleaner area it is due to overfill ( which you have stated is not the case), being tipped carb side downwards (which is hard on this machine to do), or the breather assembly.

If breather was upside down tube wouldn't reach air cleaner. Diaphram in breather moves freely when pushed. Will run compression test when son gets home. Bad valve? Rings? On disability for cancer so have to fix myself, can't afford to take somewhere. Daughter bought it for me 2nd hand. My problem not yours. Thanks very much for the input.

not a problem. Let me know if I can be of any assistance. I am here if you need me

Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL AND WHAT I STRIVE FOR

JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
JON
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician