JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

I have a troy bilt 12av566n011 front drive mower. I just

hi, I have a troy bilt 12av566n011 front drive mower. I just fixed the front drive myself and now the front wheels turn forward just fine with or without power. BUT the front will will not turn backwards freely. I don't know what to do.
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: troy bilt 12av566n011 model 249887
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes. I would like to just simply disengage the crappy front drive so the wheels just turn forward and backward freely
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I saw a video of how someone removed the front drive pinions on both front wheels to disengage the front drive. That is what I'd like to do

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok, thanks

Sounds like the belt is too tight or jammed. Did you replace the belt?

to remove the drive system just remove the gears from the axles ( PART THAT DRIVES THE WHEELS)

SHOULD BE HELD ON BY SMALL SCREWS

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The belt moves and does power the front wheels 100% great. the wheels will not turn backwards freely. The two TORX screws which hold on the drive pinions - how do I turn them; when I turn the one on the left side, the right side wheel also turns.

YOU MAY NEED TO HOLD AXLE STILL WITH VISE GRIOS OF PLIERS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok, going to try it now

KEEP ME POSTED AND Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the axle has a plastic sheath that covers the whole axle which prevents me from getting the vice-grips attached to the steal axle shaft

CA​N YOU GRAB THE GEAR THAT YOU ARE REMOVING?

WHAT WAS THE ORIGINAL ISSUE AND WHAT WAS DONE BY YOU?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
original issue is the front wheels on this front drive mower will not move backwards freely. When I pull the mower backwards, the wheels drag in the grass. I can force them to move backwards by hand, but not with normal mower operation. I would like to free up the wheels or simply disengage the stupid front drive - I saw a video where someone removed the two pinon gears.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The video was not for a Troy mower, but rather a Honda mower where the pinion gears where held on by a clip vs. a torx screw.

HAVE YOU BEEN ABLE TO REMOVE THE GEARS YET?

GRAB GEARS WITH PLIERS AND TURN SCREW SINCE YOU ARE REMOVING GEARS, HARMING THEM IS NO BIG DEAL

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The gears move as I turn the screw. I used my a hacksaw to cut away at the plastic sheath around the axel so that I could use the vice grip to grab a hold and turn the screw. All done now and fixed. It was that plastic sheath that was getting in the wayThanks for your help.
Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to rate me as I strive to be the best and your rating helps me to achieve this