JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

I have a craftsman riding mower with an 18 hp Briggs &

I have a craftsman riding mower with an 18 hp Briggs & stratton engine that starts but will not keep running
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: fuel in tank no shut off valve to my knowledge
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I had an issue at the start of the season - would not start. Replaced spark plug, fuel pump, fuel filter air filter, etc. ran great for several months but now starts runs strong for a minute or so then begins to cut out. putting throttle allows it to keep running longer but will eventually stall out.

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

can you apply the choke and keep machine running a little longer?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no choke. i normally run it at half throttle to mow. to keep it running i have to run it at full throttle but it will eventually stall - 2 minutes or less. prior to this situation i could throttle down all the way and it would idle well - no stalling

mowing should only be done at full throttle as when put under a load at less, the engine can over heat and cause issues in future uses. Just a little info that all the small engine manufacturers recommend.

sounds like the carb has a partially clogged jet and needs to be removed and cleaned

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i have removed the carb and cleaned it.

do you have a choke knob or do you just push throttle all the way forwards for choke?

what is the model and type of this engine ?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no choke throttle only, model 31p777 type 0296e1
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
answer to your statement on mowing at full throttle. throttle has mark at half way poit indicating mow at the level or wirds to that affect

these carb use a choke. the throttle all the way up should be choke, and then you move it downwards a little, there should be a notch (FULL THROTTLE) if you can push the throttle all the way up and machine will run a little longer, there is still debris clogging a jet and carb will need to be gone through again

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok. where do i go from here? you confirmed my suspicions. i tried to get a rebuild kit from a craftsman site and they wanted to sell e a new carb. any suggestions on a kit?

this engine came with either a WALBRO or NIKKI carb, which does yours have?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
walbro

Briggs and Stratton #697241

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just ordered the kit you specified. Thanks for your help.