Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Bought a new ferris IS600 that came with the Briggs &

Bought a new ferris...

Bought a new ferris IS600 that came with the Briggs & Stratton Commercial Turf Series 25 HP engine. The engine has 55 hours on it. Engine Surging and not running smoothly at high(run) throttle setting. Sort of like its the engine running up then down. however when I engage the blades it runs fine. Is there an easy fix for this?

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

New mower. new engine. 2017 model. 55 hours on it.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

If its easy enough. What could it possibly cause the problem on a new engine.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I think that's it. air filter is clean.

8/17/2017
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

Sounds like the carb jets may be partially clogged. Remove and clean carb to see if this fixes the issue as this is what I would attempt if it where in my shop.

Only takes a grain of dirt to bypass the air filter to clog these jets.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

This will take a a little while as it's mowing season. If doing your suggestion doesn't fix the issue, what else can I do? Is there a diagram for the carburetor that I can follow?
Thanks.

What engine model and type is this? If carb cleaning doesn't repair the issue, you will want to check the governor springs and throttle connections. if you can run engine partially on choke, does it make the engine run better?

Well I used the choke to adjust the rev'g issue and it did balance out the idol. Currently, I'm not near the mower. I can look at the engine serial number tonight and get back to you tomorrow. Will the conversation window still be available?

if you can control the idle and run with the choke, the carb being clogged is the issue as you are changing the air flow to match the fuel flow. carb clean should have you back to normal

JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
I'll get the serial numbers off the engine tomorrow and send it to you. That way you could at least help me identify the engine series and where to get the diagram for the carburetor. Is that ok?
it would help if there was a utube video for this carb.
The engine type is a briggs and stratton commercial turf series 25 hp. Not sure what series it is.
Turf series is just the name they use,but hopefully the label on the engine will provide some clarity.

no problem. Briggs normally stamps the model and type in the valve covers of the engines, or there will be a serial number on the housing

Good Mornilng. To continue our discussion from yesterday. Looking for the online manual and image of the carburetor, so I know what I'm doing when taking the carb apart and cleaning it. Would be nice if there wasx a youtube video.
The Engine Serial Number is *****
On the valve cover is shows - MODEL:44T977, Type: 0005G1, CODE: 160519YG.

I​t will not let me. when cleaning the carb, the entire carb doesn't have to come apart. you mainly want to make sure to clean the jets that are in the center of the carb

Ok sounds good. So the link you provided will bring me to an image of the carburetor?

yes and parts break down

Thank you and have a great day!!

you too