Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My tiller has very little power and seems to lose more as

My tiller has very little power and seems to lose more as I'm using it.
JA: What's the make and model of the tiller? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Troy-Bilt Model 21C-64M1011, I've had it maybe 8 to 10 years.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can
JA: Anything else you want Curtis (30 years experience with gas and diesel engines and 26,000 5-star reviews) to know before I connect you?
Customer: Oil typically gets black very quicly, almost always have to clean spark plug before it starts, especially after sitting a few weeks.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Is the choke on the carburetor fully opening? If choke stays partly closed, it will run rich, foul plugs with carbon , and let engine loose power. Do you have a full stream of fuel from tank to carburetor inlet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can't see the choke action, but it seems to work properly, and gas is getting to the carburetor. Just looking, however, showed that the air filter is hopelessly plugged up. I will get a new one. I can tell it runs better when I take the filter off. I'll say it was worth the money already spent.

Thank you! please rate using the 5 star rating system, to close the question and get me credit!