Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an electrical problem with my MTD Gold riding lawn…

I have an electrical...

I have an electrical problem with my MTD Gold riding lawn mower, I've replaced the main harness and it keeps blowing the fuse. I replaced the ignition switch and narrowed it down to the harness that connects from the main harness to the spark plugs. This harness also is wired into what kind of looks like a safety switch located on top of the motor, it has a K on the top and 3 spades which are marked A with a C under it, the middle spade is marked B with a + under it, the third spade is another A with a C under it. What is this and can I test it to see if it is bad?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

It's a 2011 MTD Gold Hydro Model 13AP925P004

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

YES

8/15/2017
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

sounds like this is your voltage regulator. when is the fuse blowing in the machine? does it blow as soon as key is turned to ON position?

as soon as I hook the battery up, I've isolated to this harness, the one that goes to the spark plug. When I unplug this it doesn't blow as soon as I hook it up it blows. So I'm wondering if I can test this, voltage regulator first before I buy a new harness that go to the plugs

have you searched the wires in that harness to make sure no wires are broken? it could be the stator also on this unit, as the wires orig. as the stator and go to regulator then to the battery

I was searching for any breaks in the wires in that particular harness when I came across the voltage regulator. I didn't see any breaks in my initial search. if the voltage regulator was bad would it blow the fuse?

yes, as it would backfeed voltage

ok thanks

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
will do thanks Jon