Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my poulan pro

Customer Question

Hello I'm trying to figure out what is wrong with my poulan pro 500ex lawn mower. It starts fine but as soon as I push the gas pedal or reverse pedal it screeches and turns off.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes ma'am but there are some debris in the tank
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: We've taken it 3 times and they changed the belts and the blades and chains
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can thank of. Just the screech as soon as I try to move forward or backwards. Some times it kicks in and moves but makes the noise occasionally.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Check your idler pulleys. It is likely that you have worn bearings in one of your idler pulleys. As your drive belt tightens, your idler pulley will attempt to spin, and the screeching will start.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

We can continue from here.