Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I put a new in my lawn mower but when I engage the blades,

Customer Question
I put a new carburetor...
I put a new carburetor in my lawn mower but when I engage the blades, it loses power. What is wrong ? Is it Pto or Spindels?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Small Engine
when the blades or not on it revs kinda loud
8/6/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 3 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

What engine do you have? A twin engine? Run a cylinder test, loosen the spark plug wires, and with engine idling, remove one wire at a time, if engine dies when either wire is removed, the opposite cylinder is not firing. Check it for spark and compression.

Twin engine

Run the cylinder test.

Has spark
I even put in new sparks

But is it firing on both cylinders?

OK, then I will opt out. Usually it is a twin cylinder only firing on one cylinder. Good luck with it. Sorry

Thanks you

.

Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 3 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Check the valve clearance on each cylinder. Does it only lose power once the blades are engaged? How are the high rpms with throttle wide open?
it only loses power when blades engaged. The egine revs very high with throttle wide open even on low throttle it's very high.
you think it's the valve what are they supposed to be ?
Sounds like it could be valve clearance yes, but if the throttle is wide open even when on low setting, check to make sure choke butterfly is fully opened up first.
The choke is open
Can you move the governor and lower the RPMs? The RPMs being high is a big concern here and a part of the problem I believe as the blade engagement requires high RPMs which, you have. Check the governor spring and throttle springs. Let's get the engine to idle properly first and then I am thinking it will run under load better
What am I looking for on the springs ??
Make sure connected to the proper spots, not stretched, or hanging up on anything else near carb
What model engine is this?
Model 445877 Briggs and stratton
check carb hookup and springs. Make sure gaskets are all good as it sounds like a possible air leak in carb area.
Springs not stretched springs are in the right place not loose and I put new gaskets
Can you manually lower the RPMs with the throttle? governor?
No I can't lower the rpm manually on throttle
Can you lower RPMs by moving the governor arm coming out of engine?
I can't lower the rpm when I turn counter clock wise it sputters and black smoke comes out and turn it clockwise it revs even higher

by what you have described there is an issue with either the gaskets or the throttle springs. If you can change it manually the springs are not working properly to adjust the throttle. I honestly would remove the carb and redo everything to make sure all gaskets are sealed properly and recheck all the spring connections

I did carburetor again took it apart ,put it back together adjusted the governor arm and started the mower. Run smoothly until I start cutting grass
Now I here a rattling noise when the blade is on
I check the belt for the blades they where good the blades or new, no cracks and the Spindels turn smooth.any ideas?

w​here is the rattling noise coming from, engine or deck area?

It's sound like it's coming from egine and deck area. How can I eliminate if it's egine or deck? Do I take the belt of???

yes, remove the belt from the pto and try it and see what noises you get

Took the belt of no noise . Put it back it start with no noise but as soon it touches grass it start shaking and rattling
this time the engine stalls

so issue is on the deck. I would remove the deck and check all pulleys, bearing, spindles, ect.

I don't get it how come governor had to be adjusted,carburetor had to be checked and now u tell me it's just the deck? So if I brought it to you, so to say , u would have done the same thing and I would have paid for all that labor?
Just asking don't get offended

no labor should ever be charged unless it fixes the issue. sometimes things have to be done to eliminate others. it is much harder to diagnose a problem online or via phone than in person.

if you lose power, the first thing that should have been done was remove all items that pull more power from the engine

the governor issue was basically due to you said you couldn't control it manually

Thanks I guess I learn how to diagnose my mower properly

it a learning process. something are hard to diagnose no matter how much see things daily.

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

I won't be able to work on mower till next week have a full time job 3hr from home so I'll find out next wee4

not a problem. just keep my posted if you need more info

Still does the same thing,loses power when blades or engaged! Checked the deck ,the belt ,carburetor and even gave it a oil change again and new sparks

How many spark plugs does this engine have?

If it has 2, with engine running and blades engaged, remove one plug wire at a time and see if the engine dies completely

The engine dies when I remove the right one but for the left side it keeps running

IF IT DIES WHEN YOU REMOVE THE RIGHT PLUG WIRE, THIS MEANS THE LEFT SIDE IS NOT WORKING AND NEEDS TO BE REPLACED AS IT WILL NOT RUN OFF THE LEFT SIDE. YOU NEED BOTH CYLINDERS TO RUN MACHINE PROPERLY WITH BLADES ENGAGED

There is sparks coming though
You do mean the plug is faulty and not the valve

ON THE LEFT CYLINDER, REMOVE THE PLUG AND SEE IF YOU CAN SEE THE PISTON MOVING ORPLACE SMALL SCREWDRIVER INSIDE AND SEE IF IT MOVED WHEN YOU TURN THE ENGINE BY HAND

It does move it pushes the screw driver bavk

OKAY, GOOD THING THERE THEN. DOES YOUR MACHINE HAVE ONE OR TWO IGNITION COILS? DO YOU HAVE A COMPRESSION TESTER?

No compression tester.2 ignition coils
Replace the left one?
Say yes. If you place your finger over the left side spark plug hole and move engine by hand can you feel a suction on your
Finger
Suction just barely but more air blowing out
It could be a compression issue on that side kind of hard to tell though without an actual tester
I honestly do not want to tell you yes get an ignition coil and it not fix your problem as most ignition coils or non-returnable
I would check your local auto parts stores and see if they may have a compression tester that you can rent or borrow first
Ok
Sorry to kind of drag this out but I just do not feel comfortable having purchase an expensive part that may not be the issue and is not returnable I would not want someone doing this to me. I am pretty sure though that the problem is going to be either with the compression of the cylinder or the spark is not good on that side of the cylinder. When you engage the blade you were only running on one cylinder so that is why the engine is making it shutter
Hey the compression is low 30 psi max it goes it 90 psi
I guess overhaul the dam thing
Oh yeah, too low. Could be rings sticking or blown head gasket.
You have already checked the valves on both sides correct? Both push rods are good. Normally they will not cause this, but could by chance.
Wait, it goes to 90psi?
What is the right cylinder compression? You want no more than a 10% difference in sides
Ok the right sides has no compression at all. It's starts only when I have the choke on but once I take it of it stalls . And when I start again with choke on there is no compression. I don't get it what wrong???
There is a compression release so if no compression is reading, do you have some one that can watch needle while motor is being cranked. It has compression as it would not run without it. It is odd
JON
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician