Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

08 club car gas takes a good 5-10 seconds for motor to kick

Customer Question

08 club car gas takes a good 5-10 seconds for motor to kick in...the belts start up then a long pause then the engine will go sometimes with a light backfire..reverse not quite as bad
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: I've owned it for a couple months and has gradually gotten worse...same motor that was bought with the cart I was told so 08 kawasaki
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If it was something rather simple my mechanic is on a 2 week backlog
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: They put a new generator belt on it about a month ago..it broke off but was having trouble before that
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  TECHPRO49 replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you with all of your small engine questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required.

Have you done any diagnostics on the engine yet?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not much...the starter cables seem to be connected and clean and the accelerater cable seems to be doing its job...

I would check the basics fuel filter and spark make sure everything is clean like the carb, if you have a spark gap checker your looking for atleast 1/2 spark travel on that and a good healthy spark at that

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Maybe my spark plug connector it looks pretty mashed in there...probably a causing a dull connection

I would measture that with a sprk checker to verify, there could be a lot of reason why you have bad spark