Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Have 5000 gen set just bought in RV i bought got it running…

Customer Question
Have 5000 gen set...

Have 5000 gen set just bought in RV i bought got it running wont stay running i know it sat for 3 years ???

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

1st time

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Can do

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No like I said RV sat for 3 years had under quareter tank put fresh fuel in

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
8/4/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 11 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

1. What is the full model number of the genset?

2. What do you mean by "won't stay running"? It only runs while you hold the start switch, but quits as soon as you release the switch? It runs for 10 seconds? an hour?

3. If it runs at all, while it runs, does it run smoothly, or is it running rough/surging?

4. Have you done anything to the unit at all?

model#5BGEFA26100M runs for 10 sec runs shitty surging and no
just wondering if its the fuel pump

This actually sounds morel like a bad carburetor.

You can easily test the pump by removing the fuel line from the carb, unplugging the tan fuel line from the pump, and jumping 12V directly to the pump. I usually just touch the tan wire to the battery post of the starter solenoid, in the lower right corner of the control panel.

If the pump is working, the carb is bad.

This is 1997 unit is the fuel pump electric

Yes it is. It is located on the right hand side of the genset.

Was this what you wanted to know?

Hello, was this what you wanted to know?