Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Onan 3kvc govenor inoperative. Today,tech replaced

Customer Question
Onan 3kvc govenor inoperative ...

Onan 3kvc govenor inoperative

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Today,tech replaced carberator wont idle

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

All springs and linkages look proper but govenor will not operate

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Small Engine
8/3/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 9 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

1. What is the full model number of the genset?

2. You say that the governor is not operative, but what are the exact symptoms you are getting?

3kvc-83c
wont idle,stays open throttle,cant feel any activation from govenor rod
tech installed new carberator.all linkages and springs look properly installed

Ok.

When you say it won't idle, is the engine just running at its normal speed, or is it racing?

With the engine not running, move the governor arm. Other than the spring tension, does it feel like it is binding, or is there any rough spots/spots that are catchiing?

racing.linkage not binding.feel govenor not working at all.
if changing carberator is it possible to overextend the arm and dislodge govenor internally

You say that the linkage is not binding, but that the governor is not working at all.

If it is not moving, it is bound. Although it does not move very much, it should move.

Is there any chance you could get a clear picture of the linkage and post it here for me to review?

it moves freely

When you said it is not working at all, I thought you meant it was not moving at all.

You have to be specific - remember, I can't see or hear what is going on. I only know what you tell me.

If it is moving, here is what you need to do.

When the engine is not running, the governor spring holds the throttle in the wide open position.
When you start the engine, the governor (which is a centrifugal weight inside the engine) starts spinning.
Centrifugal force pushes a weight outward, exerting pressure on the governor shaft, and turning it.
The governor arm is connected to the governor shaft outside the engine, so the governor arm also moves.
The governor actually tries to slow the engine down.

The faster the engine turns, the more pressure that is put on the governor shaft/arm.
The point at which the force of the governor (trying to slow the engine down) equals the force of the governor spring (trying to speed the engine up) and keeps the engine running at a steady speed, is called the governed speed.

With this in mind, here is how to check the governor.
Manually move the governor arm/throttle lever back and forth between the stops. Note how much movement there is, and also how much tension is on the governor spring.
Remove the spring from the governor arm.
Move and hold the governor arm/throttle to the middle position, and start the engine.
Slowly move the governor arm to slow down and speed up the engine.
Remember, if the engine is allowed to run too slow, or too fast, the engine will shut down.
As the engine speed increases, you should feel the tension on the governor arm increase, and as the engine speed decreases, you should feel the tension on the governor arm decrease.
If you feel no tension at all, the governor is likely bad, and the engine will need to be torn down to check it.
.

It would be very rare for the governor to go bad. In the 15 years I have been an Onan tech, I have only ever seen 2 go bad.

From what I can see, it does look like everything is properly connected, except for the governor rod spring. It does not look like it is attached at the carbrutor at all. It connects in the same hole at the governor rod.

Check out the governor as I specified above.

Have you checked out the governor yet?

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician