Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I replaced the carb (new) and ignition module on my tb22ec…

Customer Question
I replaced the carb (new)...
I replaced the carb (new) and ignition module on my tb22ec weed eater and now it won't start. Also using new gas. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
8/3/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
What is the compression
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Compression is good. Spark is good. It did start for about 10 seconds one time. Otherwise it just backfires when I crank it. I was wondering if it could be a "timing" issue? Something I put back out of sinc.
Can be. How did you gap the ignition module?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No gap on ignition. It is more of a magneto.
There should be a gap between the ignition coil/magneto and flywheel. Place a business card between the coil and the flywheel and then let the magnet pull the coil to the flywheel with the business card between the two tighten the flywheel down.
This should fix your problem as without the proper gap the timing is off
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great. I will try that. Thanks
Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to rate me as I strive to do my best and your rating helps me to achieve this
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jon, Sorry I didn't get back to it til today. I tried gapping the ignition coil - still won't start. Good spark. Backfires thru carb occasionally. Any other suggestions?

no​thing else has to do with timing on this machine as it is a 2 cycle. you can remove the fly wheel and check the keyway there on the shaft or it may be built into the flywheel. it is odd for this to shear, but it may have since the coil wasn't gapped properly and it was popping back through the carb