JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

I replaced the carb (new) and ignition module on my tb22ec

Customer Question

I replaced the carb (new) and ignition module on my tb22ec weed eater and now it won't start. Also using new gas. Any suggestions?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.
What is the compression
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Compression is good. Spark is good. It did start for about 10 seconds one time. Otherwise it just backfires when I crank it. I was wondering if it could be a "timing" issue? Something I put back out of sinc.
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.
Can be. How did you gap the ignition module?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No gap on ignition. It is more of a magneto.
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.
There should be a gap between the ignition coil/magneto and flywheel. Place a business card between the coil and the flywheel and then let the magnet pull the coil to the flywheel with the business card between the two tighten the flywheel down.
This should fix your problem as without the proper gap the timing is off
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Great. I will try that. Thanks
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to rate me as I strive to do my best and your rating helps me to achieve this
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Jon, Sorry I didn't get back to it til today. I tried gapping the ignition coil - still won't start. Good spark. Backfires thru carb occasionally. Any other suggestions?
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

no​thing else has to do with timing on this machine as it is a 2 cycle. you can remove the fly wheel and check the keyway there on the shaft or it may be built into the flywheel. it is odd for this to shear, but it may have since the coil wasn't gapped properly and it was popping back through the carb