Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

My generac 17kw generator is cranking but wont start. the…

Customer Question
My generac 17kw generator...

My generac 17kw generator is cranking but wont start. the info screen said to check air filter so I changed it. then it said check oil filter so I changed oil and filter. then it said check spark plugs so I changed them. I also cranked engine when plugs were out to see if pressure was being made at spark plug hole. natural gas is on. I'm all out of ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

It is natural gas and yes the valve is on. but I cannot tell if gas is flowing

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

I need to fix it asap so my basement wont flood

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

The engine ran on sunday and yesterday the power went out in our area. my son said he heard a loud bang. could have been a transformer in the area or I'm starting to think something may have blown on the generator. But when I look at it everything seems fine I'm puzzled

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
8/4/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 11 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What are the model and serial number of the genset?

model number(###) ###-####serial number

Ok.

When you pulled the spark plugs to check for compression, did it have plenty of compression?

Have you checked both plugs to see if they are getting fire?'

they have compression

And the rest of it?

there is compression
The natural gas is on

Are you getting spark to both plugs?

I am and they are gapped correctly
Ok.
Then remove the air filter, and set the switch to MANUAL. Does the choke open and close at 2 second intervals?
While it is cranking, spray in some carb cleaner. Will it fire on carb cleaner?

Have you tried this yet?

tried this as well
It seems like the fuel is not getting to the unit

Is the choke opening and closing?

Did it try to fire on carb cleaner?