Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Deere hydro 175 that won't start. I replaced carb,

Customer Question
I have a John...

I have a John Deere hydro 175 that won't start. I replaced carb, fuel filter, fuel pump and plug. It was running fine but backfired and stalled. Would not start afterward.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

When it first stalled and wouldn't start, I cleaned carb jets and it started but ran rough. At least I was able to cut. Since then, nothing

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
Forget it. Please cancel my order. I'm not going to wait
8/3/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Check the timing key, between the flywheel and the crankshaft.When engine backfires, it sometimes shears the key.

Timing key is fine and I am getting spark to the plug

If you remove the spark plug and put a teaspoon of fuel direct into the cylinder, reinstall the spark plug, will it fir for a few seconds? If not check the compression.

When I pull the plug, it is wet. After sitting, it tries to start and sputters and dies.
The carb is new, right out of the box. Does it need to be adjusted?

Plug is being fouled, due to over fueling. Is carburetor float and needle valve controlling the fuel?

I assume but no idea

Remove the float bowl on carburetr an check the float and needle.

The carb is brand new, right out of the JD box

Was that before or after the back fire?

did you check the compression?

It was after the backfire
When this all started, I was cutting and it suddenly backfired, stalled and would not start. I cleaned the jets on the carb and it started but ran rough. I was able to cut that first time but it wanted to stall when the blade was engaged. Has not started since. I then replaced the carb, fuel pump, fuel filter, plug and ignition module

Compression at least 80 psi?

105

How did you check the flywheel key? Did you remove the flywheel?

No. I took off the nut and saw that it was intact and engaged thru half the depth of the slot

I think key is sheared!

It doesn't appear to be but I'll pull the flywheel and check. I won't be able to get to that until tomorrow after work

OK< with everything else correct, it seems that it needs to be checked!

I pulled the flywheel today and the key is intact.

Remove the rocker cover and check the valve clearance. Should be .006 inch. Maybe there is a pushrod off.??

I meant to say the key is intact. I pulled the flywheel today and it is intact.

Yes, and then I asked about the valves.

reading up on how to do that

Remove the rocker cover and see if they are working!

Finally was able to get back to my mower. Intake is .007, exhaust is .011. I assume both should be .006?

Yes, ideal would be .006 inch.

I adjusted and it seemed like it wanted to start but sputtered and died. Did that twice and now just won't start. I know I asked you this before but are you sure ther is no adjustment needed on the carburetor? If you recall, I replaced mine with a new one and installed right out of the box with no adjustment.

Should need no adjustment, other than idle speed. Is fuel getting to the plug? Plug wet?

Plug is wet. I replaced the fuel pump too

Plug is wet. Do you have good spark?

I have good spark

Choke open, not flooding the engine?

The choke is open, set in the cold start position

I wonder if the new carburetor float is stuck and needle valve is not shutting off the fuel/

How do I determine that without tearing apart the carb?

The float bowl has to be removed, and float travel has to be checked, and see if it closes the needle valve and shuts off fuel into the bowl. Or pinch off the fuel supply and see f engine will start once the fuel has cleared the cylinder.

Float is good

Cylinder still flooding?

Don't know about the flooding but it's getting gas
I swapped carburaors and it does the same

Is exhaust plugged?

Good thought but definitely not.

Was compression ever checked? Kawasaki should be over 100 psi.

I did not check personally since I don't have a gauge but a friend checked and told me I was 105

Makes no sense, if timing is correct (key) valves set, has spark, and compression, and fuel, it should run. I assume fuel is good?

Makes no sense to me either. Fuel should be good. Tank is fuel. Fuel cap has a split though. I know I need to replace thst
Makes no sense to me either. Fuel should be good. Tank is fuel. Fuel cap has a split though. I know I need to replace that

Only thing that has not been checked is the inner gear timing between crankshaft and camshaft!

How do I check that?

Engine has to be separated, so you can get to the innards!

It's unreasonable to even suggest I do that. I'm taking it to a JD repair center.

OK> It can be difficult! Thanks. Please rate to close the question and get me credit.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician