Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Experience:  Certified on Onan and Generac generators
19372534

Onan generator is rumnning to, smells for gas as if

Customer Question

Onan generator is rumnning to rich, smells for gas as if flooding
JA: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 2.8 KVFA 26100K and only has 12.8 hrs on it. It is in a 2012 Roadtrek (11,000 miles) which I bought from another party in June. It was not used much (1.4 hrs on geneerator, when we bought it). We live in CO and camp regularly, off grid,at high elevations (10,000=ft) near Leadville, CO. I have adjusted for elevation, but it won't smooth out, cycles badly. We had a 2004 with the same gen, and it worked fine in same conditions for 5 years.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible. I have worked on engones for years, and have full set of tools. Only problem is limited access under rear of Roadtrek, ours is Popular 190.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have tried using unleaded gas with low ethanol, and with no no ethanol. Also tried adding seafoam to main tank, thinking it would he;p remove accumulation of old gas deposits.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

If your genset is 5 years old, and only has 12 ours on it, it is not being run nearly enough.

First, if you have not yet done so, put in a new air filter and spark plug. Even if the air filter looks brand new, change it.

If this does not help, your carburetor has gone bad, and is flowing too much gas.

This carb is not rebuildable, and would need to be changed.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, was this what you wanted to know?