Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a brand new out of the box zero hours Snapper 28"

Customer Question
Hello! I have a...

Hello! I have a brand new out of the box zero hours Snapper 28" 11.5 hp garden tractor. Read the manuals, connected up the battery, fueled it up, made sure all the safety start up stuff was in the right place, and turned the switch, it cranked and started. Let it sit and run for about three minutes and it started to smoke and smelled kind of acrid. Shut everything down and checked to make sure i didnt miss no oil. Nope, confirmed there was oil at the right level. Then I cranked it up again, with this time smoke and smell returning so I put it in gear and ran around for about a minute. Still smoking and smelling. I shut it down. Will this quit as the engine is run and maybe rings have to seat or something?

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Yes.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Depends on what it is.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
8/2/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Was the machine tipped over at any point after oil was in the engine