JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

I bought a self propelled lawn mower with electric start at

Customer Question

I bought a self propelled lawn mower with electric start at Lowes. The starter worked great until the 4th or 5th mowing, and then all of a sudden, no electric start. Pull start works well, but I paid for electric start, and I'd like to get it working again. Help!
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes, the mower works great . The only problem is that I must pull start it, cuz the electric start is dead.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends what's needed. I'm a chemist and not real mechanically inclined. Do you have any experience with electric starters in Troy-Bilt mowers?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: THE ELECTRIC START DOESN'T WORK! WHAT ELSE DO WANT TO KNOW?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.
I am assuming you have a fully charged battery. Electric start push mower starters are the worst. The starters are weak. If it is newer than 2 years old it will be covered under warranty.
First thing to check that will not be a void to the warranty is the fuse. You should have a fuse in or near the battery box. If fuse is good, use a voltmeter to check the actual battery voltage.Let me know the outcome of both.Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you.
Please remember to rate me as I strive to be the best and your rating helps me to achieve this