JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

I literally just bought a PoulanPro LawnMower with a 149cc

Customer Question

I literally just bought a PoulanPro LawnMower with a 149cc Kohler Engine. It doesn't have a primer or anything on it. Starts in one pull. About 30 minutes in, the lawnmower will start to "miss" and sound like it's going to kill. Last evening it did kill, then killed 2x more in the last 15 minutes of cutting. This is the third time I've run the mower. Gas is fresh. Is there a stupid setting somewhere that I can adjust (not super handy) or what do you think.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Good gas yes. Tank has plenty of gas in it throughout this. Don't know what the "shut off valve" is and how to tell if it's open. I am holding the handle down, yes...
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: well, I want to see what the thoughts are before waiting 100 years for a repair shop to look at/fix.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Only that it's about a week old, so clearly it's under warranty if I need to go that route, but wanted to see if there's simple ideas I could try.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

w​ill it restart right back up or do you have to let it sit?

Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

if it will not start right back up, remove fuel cap and try to restart. If it starts back without fuel cap on, it is not venting properly and a new cap will be needed. if it still doesn't, it is most likely the ignition coil breaking down, and will need warranty repair

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
If I pull immediately it won't start. If I wait about 2-4 min it will fire right back up like nothing ever happened.
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

remove fuel cap and try to restart as soon as it dies, let me know the results

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok, does this stay live for several days as I can't really test until I have to cut again...it runs really well for the first 30 minutes or so, so hard to duplicate. Are you thinking the engine eventually isn't getting enough air?
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.
Just respond back how you have been. If the fuel system is not venting properly it will cause the machine to starve for fuel