Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I Have A 20 Kw Generac Propane Generator That Is Running…

Customer Question
I Have A 20...

I Have A 20 Kw Generac Propane Generator That Is Running Rough. After Checking The Rocker Arm Gap I Got The Two Intake Valves Good And One Exhaust Valve Good. The Other Exhaust Valve Pushrod Barely Moves And The Rocker Arm Spins Completely 360 Degrees With You Finger That Is What Is Making All The Noise When It Runs.What Do You Think The Problem Is.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Generac 5506 10 Years Old

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes unless It Is Not Worth It .

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

That Exhaust Spark Plug Had A Lot Of Oil And Carbon Deposits On It And Also The Air Filter Has Oil On It.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
8/1/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 11 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.
It sounds like the push rod may be broken, or the lifter stuck.
At a minimum, you need to pull the pushrod out and inspect it for damage.
You may also end up having to pull the head to inspect everything else.
I have had a few units that the exhaust valve froze up, and that was what caused the pish rod to break.

Was this what you wanted to know?