Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a 7KW Marquis generator that initially will start and…

Customer Question
I have a 7KW Marquis...
I have a 7KW Marquis generator that initially will start and run smoothly the rough then quit within 5 minutes. Then can't restart it. Hard to start initially too. Plugs are clean and so is oil. Pumped gas out main line too to check Lots of gas available. Only had AC running and quit. Tried adding more draw and quit. Tried less draw and quit. Got any suggestions for me? Thank you!
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Small Engine
8/1/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 6 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

Marquis III
7 NHM-FA/26105

There is a letter after that 26105. I need that letter.

7WHMFA26106B
Last number is ***** the generator itself not paperwork
That should be an N for first letter

OK - that is what I needed.

The first thing you need to do, if it has not been done already, is give it a good tune up. Change the oil and oil filter, air filter, and spark plugs. Make sure to get the proper plug, and gap them to .025".

If that doesn't help the starting issue, the choke may need to be adjusted.

Start the genset, and let it run until it shuts down - to the point that it will not restart.

Then check both plugs to see if you are getting spark.

If not, we need to look at the ignition system.

If you are getting spark, loosen the fuel line at the carburetor, and crank the engine.

Is fuel flowing?

Maintenance was done. If we move the throttle linkage to governor and hold it it will run smoothly but we can't always hold it. Is there a way to adjust?
I think we have fixed it ourselves! My husband did something to the governor linkage. It is now running fine.

ON that model, it is common for the clip holding the governor rod to come loose. If that is what happened, replace the clip, as it has become worn.

Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician