Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

6.5 hp Briggs, starts but won't stay running, Cleaned the…

Customer Question
6.5 hp Briggs, starts...

6.5 hp Briggs, starts but won't stay running

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Cleaned the tank, fresh fuel. Acts like it's not building enough pressure to activate throttle

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Like to

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Carburetor linkage doesn't move

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
8/1/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 1 year ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
This is most likely caused by partially clogged carburetor jet.
On the 6.5 HP Briggs & Stratton engines the main fuel jet is the bolt that holds the carburetor Bowl on. remove that bold and clean out the holes in it that go horizontal and vertical use carburetor cleaner or and compressed air to clean thoroughly reinstall and see if engine will stay running afterwards. If not the entire carburetor may need to be pulled and cleaned.Let me know how it goes and if you need anything else.Please remember to rate me as I strive for a 5-star rating and your feedback helps me to achieve this