Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I am overseas with the military and we have a Trot Bilt Lawn…

Customer Question
I am overseas with...

I am overseas with the military and we have a Trot Bilt Lawn Tractor TB2246. Can you tell me what the idle RPM and no load maximum RPM should be? It has a Briggs & Stratton Intek Twin 22HP.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

It is a new tractor bought through the AAFES, but there are no dealers in England where I am stationed and ther is no info in the B&S Operator or Overhaul Repair Manuals! Thank you.

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes, I am an aircraft mechanic and capable.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

What do want to know?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Small Engine
7/31/2017
Technician: JON, Small Engine Technician replied 9 months ago
JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
High speed rpm should be around 3,500to 3700
Low speed is going to vary depending on location. As long as it is running smoothly you will be fine
Hello Jon, Thank you for your answer, but is not good enough I'm afraid. What does ""location" have to do with anything? With the throttle on SLOW, there are two idle speeds that must be adjusted. One against the stop screw and one by bending the governed idle tang. With throttle in the FAST position the NO LOAD speed is adjusted by bending a different governor tang and/or changing the governor spring..
I need the three speeds, idle, governed idle and top no load.
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 9 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

What is the full engine model number? Example 44M777-1234-B1

I will opt out.

Technician: Vince O., Small Engine Technician replied 9 months ago
Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician

Hello, is this what you are looking for?

Hello Vince, That's great for two of the adjustments (idle and governed idle), but doesn't give the top, no load RPM. It just says the RPM must be within +- 200 RPM, but doesn't say what it should be and just refers you to a microfiche or another manual! The numbers stamped on the engine are Model: 44N677, Type: 0024G1, Code: 151104YG. and I tried to submit a question to B&S, but the numbers wouldn't go through. I found them very unhelpful over the phone and they wouldn't send a manual to a US military APO address even if I paid for it! That's why I turned to you guys. You obviously have access to the B&S Intek V-Twin Cylinder OHV Repair Manual P/N 273521, so if you can send a link in MS-6225 or MS-4052 which show the Top No Load RPM for my engine it would be perfect!
Thank you

After a lot of searching I failed to find MS-4052. Most top nl speeds were 3600 rpm. Sorry I can't do more.

Hi Vince, thank you for your efforts and honest info. With the two idle RPMs you provided I'm 2/3rds of the way there! Like you, I feel that +- 3600 RPM would be about right, but I want to get the EXACT B&S number so there is no argument when/if the unit has to go back under warranty. As a first time user I don't know how "Just Answer" works, but is there likely to be anyone else who will come up with the exact top, no load RPM?
Thanks, Ed

I will opt out and the question will be open for others

Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 9 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

Idle speed on all Briggs and Stratton engines, except for a few specialized applications, is 1750 +/- 100 rpm.

Max speed is 3600 +/- 200.

Hi Hank, thanks for your reply. This is my first time use of "Just Answer" so please bear with me! Did you see the three previous answers and my replies, or are you starting from the original question only?.

I saw the thread.

Minimum speed is not a dual speed thing. According to Briggs and Stratton, idle speed is 1750 rpm, +/- 100.

In order to set up the throttle control/carburetor/governor on my engine there are three RPM adjustments, idle, governed idle and top no load. If you saw the thread you will see I now have the idle and governed idle RPMs.
I would like the top no load RPM as specified in B&S manual MS-4052 for my engine model and type number.
Thank you

Top no load speed is 3600, +/- 200.

Can you confirm that is the figure B&S show in their manual?
Thank you

http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/mjoruPrb733wQ9vcv4.pdf

I appreciate the graph and general explanation, but it's for a 16HP (Vanguard?) The info MIGHT be the same, but I'm looking for the B&S no load RPM figure that applies specifically to my 22HP Intek, Model: 44N677, Type: 0024G1.

Hello again, see the last page top right for info that may help. http://www.smallenginesuppliers.com/html/engine-specs/briggs/446700.html

I appreciate your efforts Vince, but as I mentioned to Hank, the info is interesting, but it's not for my engine series, model and HP and doesn't give the +/- Top No Load RPM specifically for my engine.

T​he 44**** is your series

Vince O.
Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician