Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Do you have any knowledge about replacing a starter solenoid…

Customer Question
Do you have any...

Do you have any knowledge about replacing a starter solenoid on a JD LS 279 lawn tractor

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Heavy Equipment Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.

Any knowledge on replacingJD LS279 lawn tractor start soleniod

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing this yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, removed solenoid but having trouble getting it back in properly

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
7/31/2017
Technician: rplmoreci,
 replied 11 months ago
rplmoreci

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Technician: rplmoreci,
 replied 11 months ago

First double check and be sure it's the correct solenoid because it should fall right into place.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

I removed the solenoid from the garden tractor because it was sticking and not releasing immediately, and causing grinding with the ring gear. I had some difficulty pulling it out. I tried to put the same solenoid back in after cleaning and lubricating it. The solenoid has a white plastic round plunger coming out of the end. There is a fork up in the starter that it must attach to it. However, when I put the solenoid back on, it must have pushed up against the bottom of the fork because when I bolted it down and wired it up and reconnected the battery cable, it immediately started to spin. I have tried twisting and turning and all kinds of things to reconnect the way it was originally, but have had no luck inserting it properly. Is there some trick to reinsert it?
Technician: rplmoreci,
 replied 11 months ago

I thought you were installing a new one. That would be no problem. Due to what you just told me, I would replace the starter and solenoid. It should all come as one unit. This way you won't be taking a chance that the starter was holding up the solenoid instead of the other way around.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

The starter itself is fine. The solenoid, upon removal when I push in the plunger takes 5 to 6 seconds to release, causing the grinding with the ring gear. After cleaning and lubricating the solenoid, I can push it in and it snaps back immediately. I just can't get it connected properly to the arm that pushes the starter gear to engage the ring gear.
Technician: rplmoreci,
 replied 11 months ago

I know, that's why I said to replace the whole unit. When you separate them, this is what happens. The only place that can reassemble that would be a rebuilder if you can find one, they have the special tools for this.

Your solution would have cost me $459 for a totally new starter with solenoid. I got a second opinion and they said the starter must be removed to get the proper angle to replace the solenoid, which he said is fine after cleaning and lubricating. No new parts are required.
Technician: rplmoreci,
 replied 11 months ago

I guess we'll see.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me now and keep this link. Thanks

Hey Ron just got the starter back on, the solenoid was simple to get back on once the starter was removed. Everything working fine. no parts replaced. thanks for taking a shot at it but it must be difficult to advise when you cant see the problem.
Technician: rplmoreci,
 replied 11 months ago

No problem, but just for the record, there are times that there are more than one way to repair something. I personally would have replaced the complete unit. You are right though, it is tougher when you can't put your own eyes and hands on something. Be well,