Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Troy Bilt GTX 16 Model 13101 SN 131010100895, The…

Customer Question
I have a Troy...

I have a Troy Bilt GTX 16 Model 13101 SN 131010100895

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

The tractor recently stopped moving forward or reverse. It has a new B&S engine. I jacked the rear tires off the ground and they will turn but I can stop them with my hand. Could it be the charge pump or transmission?

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?

Like I said the engine is new less than 20 hours

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I checked the transmission oil level which was perfect (and clean). even so I changed the transmission filter on the chance it was something cheap and easy.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
7/30/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 11 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Is the drive belt from engine to transmission tight? Have you had either of the rear wheels off?

With both wheels off the ground, and you turn one wheel manually, does the other turn in opposite direction?

The hydraulic pump is driven by a drive shaft (no belt). I'll check the wheel rotation. I should block one and see if I can stop the other by hand. Also the hydraulic pump is an Eaton 11. I found a service manual online. Right now I suspect a pressure relief valve inside. I should also check the output pressure of the charge pump.

Did you do the turn one wheel , to see if the other wheels turns in opposite direction? If not, you have rear end problem or broken axle.

Hi Curtis,
I jacked the two back tires off the ground and they do turn opposite each other. However, if I hold one, and turn the other, I hear a loud clicking sound. I know there must be some limited slip between the two otherwise the tractor could not turn.Right now I'm pretty convinced it's the hydraulic unit.

Yes, differential is ok, or wheels would t turn in opposite direction. . That only leaves the hydraulic unit.