Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I overfilled oil reservoir when I didn't observe oil level…

Customer Question
I overfilled oil reservoir...

I overfilled oil reservoir when I didn't observe oil level moving toward opening. It has caused great amount of smoke. Oil is spurting from exhaust port and blade has stopped rotating.

Mechanic's Assistant: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?

Just today

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

No, thinking I'll take it lowe's for repair

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Is is possible a plug from oil pan dropped out. Do lawn mowers even have such a feature?

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

I't a Troy-bilt TB230 about 2 years old

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Small Engine
7/30/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 1 year ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Oil level has to be lowered, by tipping mower over, so the oil will drain from the dipstick tube, use a flat pan to collect the oil. Drain oil and get it at proper level, the remove the spark plug and spay carburetor cleaner in the hole and spin engine to purge the cylinder, do it three times, then install new spark plug, and start mower, it will stop smoking as soon as the exhaust buns out the oil in the exhaust. Usually less than three minutes.