Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I overfilled oil reservoir when I didn't observe oil level

Customer Question

I overfilled oil reservoir when I didn't observe oil level moving toward opening. It has caused great amount of smoke. Oil is spurting from exhaust port and blade has stopped rotating.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: Just today
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No, thinking I'll take it lowe's for repair
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Is is possible a plug from oil pan dropped out. Do lawn mowers even have such a feature?
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I't a Troy-bilt TB230 about 2 years old
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Oil level has to be lowered, by tipping mower over, so the oil will drain from the dipstick tube, use a flat pan to collect the oil. Drain oil and get it at proper level, the remove the spark plug and spay carburetor cleaner in the hole and spin engine to purge the cylinder, do it three times, then install new spark plug, and start mower, it will stop smoking as soon as the exhaust buns out the oil in the exhaust. Usually less than three minutes.