Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

The generator wont stay running. Onan model 2.5 kvd 2089a.

Customer Question
The generator wont stay...

The generator wont stay running

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Onan model 2.5 kvd 2089a

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

No it starts but if you hold the button in it keeps running but as soon you leave it go it quits

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
7/30/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 11 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

The most common cause of this issue is that the genset is no longer producing any power.

Connect a voltmeter to the output of the genset, and press and hold the start button to keep the engine running for a few seconds.

How much voltage do you read?