Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a zero turn 50 inch with a 20 horse motor hydraulics…

Customer Question
I have a zero...

I have a zero turn 50 inch with a 20 horse motor hydraulics are jerky and weak any suggestions where to start

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

Not a fuel issue a hydraulic issue

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

I have a steep grades in my yard on flat ground it does fine sharp turns and climbing hills it get weak and jerky and some cases cases stalls out

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
7/30/2017
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 11 months ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Have you rplaced the drive belt from engine to the two transmissions? If it slips on grades , it will give jerky hydraulics, and with it working on flat ground, belt is a possibility.

I have

Belt is tight? And yo say it is not oil level problem?

Oil level is okay

oK> I will opt out, and maybe someone else will have better idea! Sorry.

Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 11 months ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello, my name is***** you are still in need of assistance, please let me know. I will be happy to work with you.

I will need the model numbers for your mower, and the brand of your mower. With this information, I can pull up a diagram of your hydraulic components.

Check to see if you have any obvious signs of leaks in your hydraulic system. Is the jerkiness on only one side of your mower, or on both sides? We can continue from here. Thanks!

It is a Simplicty model champion zt 20h 50" b&s smi dom part#2690451 It seems to be more on the left side with the jerks and weaker but the right side in a hard pole will also jerk and his week will stall out before it spins out

Thanks for your response. When you say "stalls out", are you referring to your engine stalling out?

No hydraulics stall out it won't spin tires & the motor is not lugging at all

Your system have a left and right side pump, and a left and right side wheel motor. If you are not noticing an oil leak on either of these four components, and your drive belt is tight enough, you may have trapped air inside your system.

Okay how do I get it out

There is a procedure call the Purging Procedure that you will need to perform, to remove the air from your system, if any is present.

Can you explain how to do it

Please click on the link below. It relates to purging your system.

Do you have a way to lift both rear wheel off of the ground?

Ok ...

You stated earlier that your fluid is at correct level.

Are you familiar with putting your hydro pumps in the bypass/roll position?

i do
Can you tell me what oil it takes in hydraulics for this machine

Most systems with Hyro-Gear Pumps, usually use 20W50 motor oil. There should be a sticker on your oil reservoir that gives the specific oil to use.