Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

JD D100 won't start. Think it's not in nuetral. Pulled lever…

Customer Question
JD D100 won't start...

JD D100 won't start. Think it's not in nuetral. Pulled lever in back but wheels are still stuck. any Ideas

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?

It's not turning over. Nothing is happening becasue it's not in nuetral

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else we should know to help you best?

Any ideas on how to get it into nuetral

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Small Engine
7/29/2017
Technician: Donald, Small Engine Technician replied 8 months ago
Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Are you saying that when you turn your key, to start your engine, nothing happens? Not even a click?

a click. This is my neighbors JD. It has happened several times. The little pulley in the back isn't working. Wheels are locked. I can tell it's not in nuetral but can't figure out how to get it in nuetral.

Thanks for your response. Check to make sure your bypass/roll rod is still attached to the bypass lever on your transmission.

it is. I can see it move the bypass lever but the wheels are still locked.

This is an indication that your brakes are locked, although your brake pedal is fully releasing.

This should not prevent your engine from starting.

Are you familiar with using a screwdriver to jump across your solenoid posts?

I thought it had to be in neutral for the engine to start?
solenoid posts at starter?

Yes, at starter.

Do you have a shift lever, or a pedal to use to drive your mower?

There is a shift lever on the right side of the mower.
Forward neutral and reverse. New Style JD D100

As long as your shift lever is in neutral position, your mower should still start, even if your mower will not roll.

Have you checked to see if your battery is fully charged?

I can force it into the neutral position but it seems to really be in reverse.
the battery is 12.5 volts

Can you try using a screwdriver to jump across your solenoid post, to see if your engine will spin?

ok. I will try that and let you know. I'm not with the mower now.

Thanks! We can continue from here.

Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician