Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have an onan marquise gold 5500. I put a new on it, new…

Customer Question
I have an onan...

I have an onan marquise gold 5500. I put a new carburetor on it, new plugs oil filter fuel filter and fuel pump. The generator bogs down when I turn the main AC on and trips the 30 amp breaker on the generator. I think the generator is not compensating when the load is applied. Any help would be great.

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make and model of the generator? And can you guesstimate how old it is?

Onan marquise gold 253 hours on it

Mechanic's Assistant: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?

Yes

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Small Engine
7/29/2017
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 11 months ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

Sorry, had a long day at work.

Here is what I need you to do.

Make sure everything is turned off in the RV.

Connect a multimeter to one of the receptacles in the RV, and start the genset.

Wait for the transfer switch to kick in, and measure the voltage and frequency. What do you get?

Stick a cup of water in the microwave, and turn it on for about a minute.

Measure the voltage and frequency with the microwave running.

What readings do you get?

What readings did you get?