Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Curtis, My Troy Bilt 4 cycle edger started leaking oil out

Customer Question

Curtis, My Troy Bilt 4 cycle edger started leaking oil out of the muffler while sitting in the garage. It is about 8-10 years old and only used every 2 weeks.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes, and it starts easily.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: maybe
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It was a spontaneous leak. It has not had any performance issues.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! I don't know it all, but maybe together we can get you a satisfactory answer!

Does it still start and run ok? If it does, I would do nothing, as it is not unusual for oil from cylinder, or just black exhaust goo to come from muffler.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Curtis, a 12 inch pool of oil? And pooled oil in the? Could it be that the carburetor float is stuck and gas has entered the crankcase?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
pooled oil in the exhaust canister.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Let me know.

May have oil leak on the engine sump! Showing up around exhaust system. Sounds excessive by the 12 inch pool. Oil would smell of fuel if it has fuel in the oil from carburetor. Or overfull.

I see question is still open, please use the 5 star rating system to close the question and get me credit! Thanks!