JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

I have a Craftsman 6 HP lawnmower and it's not getting

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Craftsman 6 HP lawnmower and it's not getting enough fuel. I have not used it for 4 months, but before that, I replaced the spark plug and the air filter. I can start the engine but is stops after 4-5 seconds. The spark plug is clean. Please help! Thank you.
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Of course, and enough oil.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: The valve is open. yes, I plan to do the work myslef
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: This baby is 18 yrs old but have not used much in the last 8 years.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

Hi, my name is***** me review the issue, and I will be more than happy to help resolve it as quickly as possible. I will return in under 5 minutes

Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

spray fuel into the intake or carb and see if it will start briefly.

If you can spray fuel into the carb and/or cylinder and it will run briefly, you have a carb issue. You will need to remove the carb and clean it internally. The cause is a clogged jet, and it is not able to pull its own fuel to continue running. once carb is clean and free of debris in the jet(s), it should operate as normal​.

what engine is on this machine?

Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

I see question is still open and UNRATED. Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL