Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

While mowing my yard I inadvertently ran over a banana tree

Customer Question

While mowing my yard I inadvertently ran over a banana tree leaf with my Toro zero turn rider mower. The leaf became wrapped around the blade shafts causing the motor to choke. The motor continued to strain to operate for a few moments. Then it just shut down. After clearing the obstacle from the blade shafts and giving the motor a couple hours to cool down, as it was a hot Florida afternoon I attempted to restart my mower. The motor would not get a spark at all. No click was heard. It seemed as if an internal safety switch mechanism had been ingaged, and needed to be switched back on. I spoke to lawnmower repair mechanics at Home Depot, where I purchased the mower new, just a year before. They agreed with my analogy and concurred that there was such a cut off mechanism on my mowers motor, but offered no advise on how I could correct the situation on my own.
JA: What's the make and model of the mower? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: The motor that was shut down, by the banana tree leaf is a Kohler, 7000 series, 22hp engine. Can you tell me how to turn it back on, so that I can again operate my mower and finish mowing my yard.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Thanx, Ron Philpot, of Geneva FL. Here is my email address***@******.***, mine sometimes gets backup with junk mail, preventing me from getting my mail. So I'll give you my wife's a well***@******.***
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Wow, I suddenly see your responding already, right on this forum.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Hello. Thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is***** will be happy to assist you.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Ron, I would like to confirm something. Are you saying that when you turn your key to start your engine, nothing happens, not even a clicking sound, or no spinning of your engine?

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

It is very likely that you have a blown fuse. I would focus on your fuse first.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm not familiar with any fuses on my mower. Can you tell me where to find the fuse, and how to change it, if it's not just obviously simple? I'm working without my owners manual in hand, as mine has disappeared from where it is kept filed by me at home.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for your response.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Can you get the model numbers for your mower, for me?

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

I will use your model numbers to pull up a diagram of your mower?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's a Toro 4225.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Hello Ron. Thanks for these numbers. You fuse is underneath your console, near the wiring connector that goes to your ignition switch and your pto switch.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

We can continue from here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Do I understand you correctly that the PTO is located the same place as the fuse?
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Your ignition switch and your pto switch is close together. On the bottom of these switches, you will have wires attached to them. Your fuses will be in the same area as your wires and connectors.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Found two fuses near the ignition key. I'll try thoughs first.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

You are correct. There are two fuse. Check them both. We can continue from here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
One of the fuses was burnt. I changed it out and this did allow an electrical connection to go through, as the motor would at least click again each time the ignition was turned. However the engine would never turn over I clicked it several times in a row, to no avail. So I turned the ignition several times in a row again but more rapidly, but it quit clicking. I didn't bother to recheck the fuse as it still made a slight noise as the ignition was turned, leading me to believe the circuit was still complete. I'll recheck the fuse to be sure tomorrow. I was also thinking of putting the battery on a charger I the morning as well. If you have any ideas for me before I haul this one in to a Toro shop I would welcome your input.
Thanx, Ron Philpot
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for this follow up. Check first to see if your fuse is blown, then check to make sure your battery is fully charged. If the clicking continues, it is possible that your solenoid has failed. Also, try spinning your flywheel by hand, just to confirm that your engine is not locked.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

If you can gain easily access to your solenoid, use a screwdriver to carefully jump across the two posts, with the large red cables attached to them. Let's see if your engine will spin.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Ron, you and I can continue from here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
A few days ago, after following your advise I located the bad fuse and changed it out. That repaired the circuit but not the main issue with the mower. I could tell this mower needed more help than I could give it at home, so as it was bought by me new from Home Depot, only approximately one year ago, I took it in to Florida Tractor, in Oviedo, FL, a Toro dealer, to hopefully have it repaired under the warranty. Upon accessing the mower they got back with me and advised the clutch was completely burnt out and not covered by the warrantee. I was given a figure of approximately $500.00 between parts and labor to do the repair. My wife took the actual call back from them and I haven't had a chance to speak to them yet. But to me that doesn't sound right. It's still got two more years left under the manufacturer warranty, plus at the time of purchase I bought another three year extended warranty that that goes on the end of that. So I figured I was covered for a good six years, I thought. Now the first thing that goes wrong turns out to be a big one, and they want me to cover it out of my own pocket. Now I'm a fully disabled combat wounded veteran, from the Iraqi Freedom war. I'm not telling you that because I think I'm anything special, but just to let you know I'm on a very fixed income. It just seems like they're trying to put one over on me, and I wonder what your advise and or openion might be. I do have access to some discounted legal services, would you have an openion you could share with me on this, sir? Thanx, Ron
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Good morning Ron. I read what you stated above. I suggest that you retrieve your proof of purchase, and take your mower back to Home Depot, and explain your situation them. I would begin with them, due to the fact that you did purchase the extended warranty.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Let's hope they will take your concerns into consideration, and get you some help. Hopefully they will not place all blame on you, due to the incident with the banana tree leaf.

Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

Let me know what your results are. If all fails, I can help you find the part at a much lower cost. The part is relatively simple to replace. Only bolt secures your clutch, to your crankshaft.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok, I'll get back with you Donald, thank you.
Expert:  Donald replied 2 months ago.

You are very welcome! I do hope all goes well for you.