Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Onan 4000 which I recently purchased with a

Customer Question

I have a Onan 4000 which I recently purchased with a motorhome. When I bought the RV it had not been run for 2 years. I brought the RV home from Casper which is about 130 miles from my home. Checked the generator which started on 2nd try. Last week went 4 wheeling and after the 3rd day the generator quit running, poured fuel from air cleaner, and wouldn't start. Took RV home and today drained oil, installed new plug, cleaned air cleaner, check float bowl which was clean. Started unit which ran about 30 to 45 seconds blowing white smoke then shut down. Any ideas on what the problem might be?
JA: Do you have fuel in the tank? If so, is the shut-off valve open and the fuel clean?
Customer: Yes fuel comes from the main fuel with the engine but I added 4 cans of HEET but Onan won't start.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Why white smoke? Usually means blown head gasket but this is air cooled.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The Onan is not available to me at this time. I will have to contact you sometime tomorrow after I have a chance to get the model #. Sorry but didn't expect to have to get this information but will get it tomorrow and then contact you by this e-mail.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Any time someone is working on something, they have to know what it is they are working on.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 2 months ago.

Did you get the model number yet?