JON
JON, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Certified Small Engine Technician
94737911

I have a Kohler 25hp vtwin engine that surges when running.

Customer Question

I have a Kohler 25hp vtwin engine that surges when running. must pull out choke to keep it running and will not idle down without stalling. seems the low idle jet must plugged. where is this jet located and how do i remove it to clean it out? any other suggestions? 2000 Craftsman garden tractor.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old the engine is? And has it done anything like this in the past?
Customer: Approximately 17 years. problem started about 2 years ago after tractor sat unused for 9months.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: that is about it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.
Sounds like the carb needs to be cleaned as being as it will run with choke out, means the carb has a clogged jet. Should be able to clean carban be back to operational status as normal.
Use carb cleaner and compressed air if available
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.
Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to rate me as I strive to be the best and your rating helps me to achieve this
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.

I see question is still open and UNRATED. Let me know if you need anything else as I am here for you. Please remember to RATE me as I strive to be the BEST, ***** ***** ratings help me to achieve this. 5 STAR RATING IS MY GOAL

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I was hoping you could help me identify which jet is the low speed jet. The last time I used carb cleaner and compressed air it improved the surging somewhat but did not eliminate it completely that is why I think the jet needs removal for cleaning.
Expert:  JON replied 2 months ago.
Main jet for fuel supply in in the center of the carb.